General Audition Information
- The State Street Theater Co. (SSTC) conducts open and easy auditions: no parts are precast unless we announce them in advance. For most shows, all roles are open for all people auditioning. SSTC casts by talent on a production-by-production basis and offers no favors or paybacks.
- There is nothing to prepare unless specifically requested. Just take time to fill out the audition sheet carefully. We will take your picture so we know who you are, even if we know you already.
- Management is looking for talent but also for people who listen, learn, have fun, and follow directions.
- Wear comfortable clothing and footwear.
- For a musical, you will be asked to sing. The Vocal Music Director will teach you a song which you will present to management.
- You will have time to study it with other people in your vocal range. You will carry the music on stage with you. No memorizing!
- If the production is a musical you might be asked to learn a simple routine with other people who are auditioning. Not all musicals require dancing (choreography).
- If this is a non-musical audition, you will be asked to read from the script or improvise a scene. There will be time for you to go into the hall and practice with another person who is auditioning for a different role.
- Parents must accompany their children to auditions and callbacks. The older children might read from the script but the younger children will not have to read from a script. They will “play” on stage so there are no issues with children who do not read well. If they get roles, parents, the director and other staff will help them with their memorization.
- Callbacks are if management needs to hear, see, or watch for leading roles and how they work, sound, and look together.
Thank you for considering spending your free time to help with State Street Theater productions and concerts. As a regional theater, we know that our success is due to the help of our dedicated patrons and volunteers. As a volunteer, you will receive free entry into the event you are working.
To find upcoming events that are in need of volunteers, click here.
In addition to volunteering at events, State Street Theater Co. also offers multiple volunteer offerings with our productions including backstage help, set building, painting, costumes, lighting, and sound. To inquire about these opportunities, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Types of Rentals
Our stage has space for full production, concert, meetings, and conference needs. We offer a Baldwin grand piano, music stands, platforms, lights, sound, tables, and chairs. The formal theater seats up to 700 on the main floor and balcony and the backstage can seat 220 or offer a meal service with tables and chairs.
Our theaters and lobby are picture-perfect settings for weddings, anniversary and graduation parties, award shows, holiday parties, and film shoots.
We offer reduced rates for non-profits and are always looking for ways to collaborate with other area organizations. For specific pricing for your event or questions, please call us at 507-359-9990 or email at email@example.com.
Something Artsy is a community television program that is sponsored by State Street Theater Co. The monthly program highlights local arts events and organizations in New Ulm and the surrounding communities.
Guests are interviewed about theater, music, painting, sculpture, dance, singing, recitals, author appearances, play readings, and anything else arts-related. If your organization would like to be featured on Something Artsy, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org for additional information and interview times.
Something Artsy can be viewed on NUCAT at 10:30 am on Tuesdays; 10:30 pm on Thursdays; 11 am and 4:30 pm on Fridays; 5 am and 6 pm on Saturdays; and 2:30 pm on Sundays.
Something Artsy is produced by SSTC and sponsored by local community groups and Prairie Lakes Regional Arts Council.